Towanda!

My Skoolie Saga - the process of turning a school bus into a mobile studio and traveling home.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Generosity All Around Me



Peter has been busting his chops, first doing the detailed planning required, and then building cabinetry. We now have a VERY solid set of overhead bins, and the shelf on which my stereo lives. The kitchen cabinets are fully planned and will be started today, with the next sets following quickly behind. Peter is doing an exemplary job, and has been learning a lot (too much, in some cases) about how to attach stuff to a metal vehicle. He sez, "Don't think you can simply attach items to the wall or ceiling by screwing them on. Attach a board to the wall by drilling holes and using lag bolts, then use IT to attach everything else." Apparently inserting sheet metal screws directly into the metal walls is a serious pain in the rear, even for a guy of HIS size.

The overhead cabinets were constructed by first drilling holes in the 2x4s that were to serve as support structures, then drilling holes in the ceiling and walls to match, and attaching the 2x4s using the aforementioned lag bolts, washers, and nuts - PLUS a round rubber washer between the bus and the metal washer to seal the hole from the elements. Once the 2x4s were firmly installed, it was simply a matter of attaching front faceplates for the cabinet openings, a base the entire length, end caps were needed, and finally the cabinet doors. Sounds simple, doesn't it? And it is, but not nearly as quick and easy as this little paragraph makes it seem. The end result is a cabinet that will support ANYthing I want to store in it - short of gold bullion, of course, but then I'm running a bit short on that commodity anyway. :-)



We had planned to install the cabinet doors in such a way as to lift up for access, but when we started seriously considering the logistics of access, it quickly became apparent that a dropdown style was far more efficient. There will be no handles sticking out on the bus, for I want nothing that causes incidental pain, and knobby things in the aisle have been known to result in midnight misery. Instead, I have opted for 2x4 inch cut outs in each door. They will be shaped with the same slight rounding of corners as is found throughout the bus - the windows, the ceiling, etc. If you didn't already know, continuity of style creates a calming effect for the eye.

Ron came over one day and we traced down the beastly alarm system on the doors and hatches and shorted that sucker out. Yea! The engine can now be on and the back door open at the same time! While he was here, we also pulled the radio to see whether we could figure out what was wrong there. A lovely man, named Gary Wilson, wrote his findings on the back of the radio and saved us a BUNCH of time. We are SO very grateful to Mr. Wilson and his blue marker! Ron also helped me enourmously with the geometry problem of creating my design for the side of the bus, and then sprang for a FABULOUS Greek lunch for everyone! Yet another amazingly generous person in my life. Not sure exactly how I manage to have so many around me, but I'm trying real hard to simply accept the fact and be grateful.



Meanwhile, I've been busy taking advantage of bosom friend Pen's stellar upholstery knowledge and ability. I asked her for advice on the curtain and cushion work, and she simply took over. Pen is a generous soul to the extent that it can be detrimental to her health and peace of mind, and I really try not to take advantage, though it's often woefully tempting. That said, she readily took on the task of sewing my set of incredibly complex (almost every one of them is a different set of dimensions!) curtains, making the mattress comfie and attractive with a new cover, AND putting together the cushions for the platform! Funny how women will help other women in their nesting needs. *grin* I still have to make a cover for the driver's seat that both increases its comfort and improves its looks, and yes, Pen is guiding me in this process as well as in that of adding the decorative paint to the dark green stripe on the outside. No idea how my life can possibly be a happy place without Pen just down the street. I try not to think about that too carefully, because then I start to cry.

Speaking of generous souls in my life...dear heart and neighbor Victor has given me 6 gorgeous finished cherry planks he had stashed in his garage. He thought they were mahogany, but when I pulled them out and looked, they turned out to be cherry! They are slated to be used as countertops and as the facing wall of the toilet space. Thus far, Towanda is being filled with beautiful woods - pale birch, warm pine, maple and cherry! Does life get any better than a plethora of rich wood tones? I don't THINK so...

In the evenings I embroider on a couple of pretty pillowcases, and I have started yet another small quilted piece that I plan to use as a table cover. After vowing to never touch those miserable little quilting pieces again, I find I have been bitten by the bug and now must quilt or perish! Ack!

Other news:

We now have good insurance on Towanda; State Farm, and it's only $144 a year! At that rate, I'm thinking about installing a bed and microwave in my Volvo and seeing if I can get her re-licensed as an rv! Ha!

Towanda gets licensed today with the State of Texas! Street legal at last! Next stop, The Inspection Station.