Towanda!

My Skoolie Saga - the process of turning a school bus into a mobile studio and traveling home.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Floor Plan




Time for me to share my floor plan with the many who have requested same. There's a three-way swinging bookcase included that is noted as "see separate drawing." The three bookcases are on casters and poles, and *can* swing out when the bus is stationery, then fold back into place and lockdown for travel. The three bookcases/cabinets have the following dimensions (in feet and inches): 3'x1'x5', 2'x1'x5'6", and 2'6"x1'x6', with the six footer being nearest the center arc, of course. When folded and secured, the three bookcases take up a total of 9 square feet - not bad for 41 sf of storage space. There's even space when closed for a set of stacking stools! I have made a pretty good drawing of the various states of open and closed, and will post it as soon as I get it scanned.

As these cabinets are built and installed, there will doubtless be some modifications to the design, but overall, I believe this is a terrific scheme, and one that Ron offered the basic seed from which it grew. Thank you yet aGAIN, mon frere...

Have been working on curtains the last couple of days. Have some reasonably good fabric that will work for the purpose and the necessary dimensions, but am still trying to come up with a solid way to secure the curtains in place - both when stopped and they're closed, and when in motion and they HAVE to be open (especially the ones in the front and back of the bus). Vascillating between magnets and velcro; bungie cord and dowelling; blinds and curtains. What to do what to do...?

Late in the day, after a refreshing nap :-) I came up with an idea for sun and privacy shades up front! A few years ago, I installed some bubble-wrap style insulation in my attic, and had a roll left over. Would that work, I wondered? So I retrieved the stuff and ran out to the bus, thinking it would probably have to be pieced together to get good coverage. But I was WRONG! The stuff is 25" wide and the windows in the front are 24" - a PERFECT fit! So I now have a wonderful insulated reflective shade across the front and even around over the driver side window! If all this great insulating work continues, I'm gonna hafta think about a heater instead of an air conditioner! Yeah, RIGHT...

We planned to paint again today, but rain is in the forcast, so we wait. There's always plenty of other stuff to do around here, so no biggie, but I'd like to put the painting behind me. Soon, soon...

Meanwhile, here's what is spending its days in the flower bed outside my window...